16 October, 2010

Embroidery Experiment

Are you a fan of Laurel Burch designs? I'm not. Mostly I really dislike it. But I had to move a little from what I do & don't like as I decided this one was a good one to play on. It is Laurel Burch Secret Jungle fabric. I saw this at work & decided I needed to buy a fat quarter to probably completely destroy! lol


So I started to attack it with some threads - metallic, varigated & standard floss. I have been stitching away on it for a couple of days. Here is my giraffe.


A bit closer up...


There are many options I could choose doing this. I was thinking of outlining the leaves around the giraffe with the gold metallic thread, but hey, as this was my first bash & fill in embroidery I can do that on another. I would like to do a bigger chunk of fabric. The cut I had wasn't going to work for me as this giraffe was right on the edge & I didn't have enough fabric for anything else on his left side. So I will just play with the rest of my fat quarter for now & maybe do a couple of these in this 6" hoop size for now. It looks ok. Certainly fun to do something completely random & without rules or patterns to follow. Not that I follow patterns all the time of course - remember that patterns are only suggestions or someone else's ideas. You can change it if you like. (Isn't that right mum!) Anyway, that's my giraffe.

6 comments:

Chars said...

Any chance that you would sell this to me or make another similar with a "Gruff" Oops I mean Giraffe?

My daughter is Giraffe mad and this would be perfect in her room.

big B said...

Looks SO good! How did you like working with the metallic floss? Really nice job!

Sally said...

It looks really good! ... your embroidery that is - not the orginal.

Where do you work that you can buy fabric? Sounds like a dream job!

Anonymous said...

That is really beautiful. You must have more hours in the day than I do, and I don't even have a "farm" or vegie garden.

Embroidery said...

very graceful and natural...i must say.....like it...embroidery designs are up to the mark.....
Great job!!!
thanks for sharing with us.....

My 1st Bambina ! said...

This looks wonderful ! Great job !!!