28 April, 2013

Rather Pleased ... Ta-Dah!

 Finally!  Yay!  I must say this picture doesn't really do the blanket justice but you get the idea.  It's done anyway!  I am really happy with it.  Much happier than with the 2 from last year.  This one is 30 squares too.   Those were only 20 I think but I wanted this bigger to make it more useful.  I do like the colours of this one better too which is why I didn't mind making & making.  I didn't get sick of it quite so quickly.  

I experimented with a couple of different joins & also had planned all along to do it in white, but I know from experience at work that you 90% of the time end up with something different that what you intend!  So yes, I joined in dark green.  It made such a difference.  

Then the edge!  Well I recently saw one on a friends page on Ravelry.  It was really good & I thought it would suit this bunch of squares.  So I ordered the book from the library.  Around The Corner Crochet Borders.  I'm going to buy it.  It's awesome.  It's no. 28.  Anyway, it took a little effort as the white piece is a braid on it's own & needed to be woven in.  But I love it!  Thanks to Mary the star of the crochet square!   (if you are on Ravelry, check out her page with her link of her name...)   

So there you go!  Now I am trying to make up my mind on my new colours.  But I have a week or two.  The CAL is still running & the next square is one I have done already - shhh... it's in the blanket!  

19 April, 2013

Catch Up

These are my last squares in this colour way!  Woohoo!  I'm trying to decide how to join them all now.  Experimenting stage right now.  Can't wait to have these together.  

What is wrong with this picture?

14 April, 2013

Dress Ups

We had our first real party dress up this week!  It took some discussion before BJ would decide what character he wanted to be though.  I was really trying to avoid a Star Wars themed costume.  I have never seen a Star Wars movie so still not really sure where I would start!  He hadn't either so really was only going by what his friends like.  But since he plays Mario games sometimes it seemed like a good option & was approved of!  After a little surfing online it didn't take long to find a costume idea for that either.  After a little more surfing & voila, I had the ideas for how to construct too!  The overalls were a breeze with the info at Smashed Peas & Carrots.  The hat too was easy peasy!  All there at your finger tips these days!  A look around op shops found me nothing so I had to make!  But that's ok.  It turned out well.  I found the red fleece & blue felt in a quick trip to town.  They had exactly what I needed.  I had the hat done with in the hour of purchase & the overalls done not long after tea time!  So pleased!  The big boy was too so that was a good start.  But he did tell me he needed a star & a mushroom as of course they have those on the game.  So umm... I gave in to the challenge.  Printed out the star from online & used him as a pattern.  The mushroom I made up.  Probably a bit taller than the ones in the game but oh well.  

The costume was a success as were the additions of props.  They were "playing Mario" running around getting the stars & mushroom "collecting" points!  Quite funny to see.  Now I am hoping I can find a book on Mario.  Then we could re-use the costume for book week later in the year.  Otherwise the blue overalls may turn into a lego man costume later on instead!  

Have a great week!