08 May, 2015

Here A Sock, There A Sock

I am still here & knitting away.  I have been in the mood for mindless things really as the cold sets in & the snuggle time increases.  I am cruising along still with socks as that is simple enough.  I have quite enjoyed playing with different yarns from my stash & from work.  Some success & some not so...

These are my Cascade Heritage Sock yarn socks.  Quite nice.  I had used a little of this for heels in another pair that I sent away.  These are so soft.  But a bit small for me.  I am giving them away as well though so that didn't matter really!  



These however are a different story.  They are somewhere at the local rubbish dump now I expect.  Yep, rubbish...  I had some trouble with these.  I enjoyed the colour changes graduating as slowly as they did.  But I was cross when I came across a knot for one thing & the colour change was not as gradual as one would expect...  blue to pink in one hit was a bit extreme...  

So with things suddenly going odd, I did pull out this section only to find that the yarn doesn't like such things & then things went more pear shaped.  I had no end of trouble trying to finish off the cuffs, casting off with the yarn breaking all over.  I did try to save them but after 5 joins & some frogging to redo the cuff again, but only to end up with more yarn breakages I was a bit over it.  I couldn't be bothered.  It was easier to just not bother even knitting the second heel.  I just threw the lot out.  

Don't be horrified or anything after all that work.  I sure wasn't bothered.  I was just glad it was only one ball & only a pair of socks!  I would hate to be working on a more detailed pattern & having to undo a mistake only to find the yarn will continually break after being unravelled.  Also knots that change such colours changes so suddenly when they should be subtle are a nuisance.  I don't mind a knot on occasion but this was too extreme for my liking, for colour changes.  

Anyway, I have been busy.  Interesting experience.  I will be more careful about yarns I pick now.  A good way to learn about some yarns & what to avoid too.  


2 comments:

Bron said...

Shame because they are so colorful and they look soft. xx

Sally said...

Wow. You're very relaxed about sending those socks to the dump. I think I would be a little less chillaxed about it, especially after all that effort.